From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Chili and cornbread partner in a homey one-dish dinner bake.
- 1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 jar Old El Paso® Thick 'n Chunky salsa (16ounces)
- 2 cups Progresso® dark red kidney beans, drained (from 19-ounce can)
- 1 can diced peeled tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers Niblets® frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pouch Betty Crocker® cornbread & muffin mix (6.5 ounces)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion (1 medium)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In 12-inch skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread as directed on pouch, using milk. Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of ungreased 12x8-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon hot beef mixture into center. (Casserole will be full.)
- Bake 18 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 4 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with green onion just before serving.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
- Calories 440 (Calories from Fat 110); Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 1110mg; Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 13g); Protein 24g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25%. Exchanges: 3 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 Medium-Fat Meat. Carbohydrate Choices: 4.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet