Dried fruit, nuts, and maple syrup are mixed with chewy wild rice to make this hot dessert. Top with fresh berries and whipped cream.
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt or salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, blueberries, and/or cherries
- 1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries (optional)
- Whipping cream or heavy cream (optional)
- Pure maple syrup (optional)
- To rinse rice, place rice in a pan of warm water. Stir and lift rice with your fingers to clean thoroughly and remove any particles that float to the top; drain. Repeat.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to boiling. Add salt to the water. Slowly add wild rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed, grains have burst open and rice is tender. Drain, if necessary. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet or nonstick large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add almonds; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add cranberries; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in wild rice, 1 cup whipping cream, and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- To serve, spoon rice mixture into bowls. Top with fresh berries, additional whipping cream and maple syrup, if like. Makes 4 to 6 servings.