If you usually make chili with ground beef, try chuck roast for a change. This is a perfect slow cooker main dish recipe for the busy Christmas season.
- 1 cup dry red beans or dry red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce*
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Rinse beans. Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the meat and the onion; cook and stir until meat is brown. Transfer to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker using a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining meat. Stir tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, broth, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, oregano, and cumin into mixture in slow cooker. Drain and rinse the beans; stir into mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Top individual servings with sweet pepper and cilantro. Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
- Calories 288, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 67 mg, Sodium 702 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 31 g. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Starch 1, Fat 1.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet