Make this healthfully fresh chilled summer soup recipe of chunky tomatoes, chickpeas, spicy vegetable juice, and vegetables, chill up to 24 hours, and serve as a refreshing side-dish. Enjoy a
- 1 15-ounce can chunky Italian- or salsa-style tomatoes
- 2 cups quartered yellow pear-shaped and/or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1-1/4 cups hot-style vegetable juice or vegetable juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow and/or red sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- In a large mixing bowl combine canned and fresh tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable juice, broth, cucumber, sweet pepper, onion, cilantro, lime or lemon juice, garlic, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls or mugs. Makes about 7 cups (6 side-dish servings).
- Calories 142, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 1145 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 7 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 131%, Calcium 5%, Iron 24%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet