Seasoned beef brisket is cooked with vegetables in a tomato sauce for this hearty dinner.
- 1 3-pound fresh beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe and/or green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Pitted ripe and/or green olives (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. In a small bowl combine flour, oregano, thyme, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Rub onto both sides of meat. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil. Combine crushed tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic, and sugar. Pour over meat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add fennel wedges and the 1/4 cup olives. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour more or until meat is tender. Transfer meat to a platter. Stir lemon peel into sauce. Serve sauce and vegetables with meat and noodles or rice. Garnish with additional ripe and/or green olives, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Calories 626, Total Fat 37 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Monounsaturated Fat 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 137 mg, Sodium 695 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Total Sugar 5 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 36 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 24%, Calcium 7%, Iron 28%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet