The combination of dried and fresh mushrooms gives this fat-free gravy a captivating nutty flavor that blends well with chicken or turkey.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 ounces shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh exotic mushrooms (such as oyster, shiitake, and/or crimini) or sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano or marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram, crushed
- Dash ground black pepper
- Lightly coat an unheated medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add shallots; cook and stir over medium heat about 6 minutes or until shallots are tender and golden brown. Add mushrooms; cook for 4 minutes more. Stir together 1/2 cup of the broth and the flour; add to saucepan. Add remaining broth, the balsamic vinegar, and dried herb, if using. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in fresh herb, if using. Season with pepper. Serve with turkey. Makes about 2 1/4 cups (10 servings).
- Calories 40, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 103 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Total Sugar 1 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%. Exchanges: Other Carbohydrate .5.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet