- 8 (1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick) country ham slices*
- 2/3 cup strongly brewed coffee
- *If country ham slices don't have much fat, it may be necessary to add a small amount of vegetable oil or bacon grease to the skillet when frying.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, fry ham in batches, covered, over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned, turning once. Remove ham from skillet and keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium-high. When ham drippings begin to smoke, add coffee, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Stir well. Simmer for 2 minutes. Serve immediately with ham slices.