Serve this creamy, golden squash soup as a side dish at your holiday meal.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for pan
- 3 pounds butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups packed cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup finely grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 large garlic cloves (1 chopped and 2 sliced)
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F and arrange rack in center; lightly oil a shallow baking pan. Place squash, cut side down, in pan and roast until tender, about 1 hour. Turn squash over and, when cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh into a bowl and mash.
- While squash is roasting, pulse together cilantro, cheese, nuts, and chopped garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup oil in a slow stream with the motor running until pureed. Transfer to a serving bowl; salt and pepper to taste, for pesto. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled in an airtight container, covering surface with plastic wrap.)
- Bring broth and 3 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered, Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add sliced garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in ginger and squash until combined well. Blend together squash mixture and broth (use caution when blending hot liquids), in batches, until smooth, transferring to a large saucepan.
- Heat soup over moderate heat; season with salt and pepper. Add additional water if needed to reach desired consistency. Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon pesto. Serve remaining pesto on the side. Makes 8 servings.
- Calories 225, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 6 mg, Sodium 269 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 6 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet