Sweet potatoes and peanut butter form the base for this creamy soup that gets a kick from green onions and ground red pepper. It's special enough to serve to guests, but easy enough to make on a weeknight.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness or Certified Organic)
- large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion or chives
- 1/3 cup chopped peanut
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and ginger and cook until they're tender-crisp. Add the red pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the broth and sweet potatoes in the saucepot. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Place 1/3 of the broth mixture in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat the blending process twice more with the remaining broth mixture. Return all of the pureed mixture to the saucepot. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste. Divide the soup among 8 serving bowls. Top each serving of soup with the green onions and peanuts.