The classic sandwich is made into a layered salad in this simple recipe. Blue cheese and a quick-fix vinaigrette complete the dish.
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 slices country Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- In large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally. Remove bacon from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, toast bread. Halve cherry tomatoes. Break bacon in 2-inch pieces. On plates layer toast, romaine, tomatoes, bacon, and blue cheese.
- For vinaigrette, in screw-top jar combine vinegar, oil, sugar, and mustard. Shake well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette on salads. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 375, Total Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Monounsaturated Fat 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 31 mg, Sodium 923 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Total Sugar 4 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 14 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 59%, Calcium 14%, Iron 14%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet