Turn Betty Crocker® Gluten Free yellow cake mix into a delicious homemade carrot cake.
- 1 box (15 oz) Betty Crocker® Gluten Free yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 4 oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup coconut, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 8- or 9-inch square pan with shortening, or spray with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 1/2 cup butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons vanilla and eggs on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in carrots and pecans. Spread in pan.
- Bake 36 to 41 minutes for 8-inch pan or 33 to 38 minutes for 9-inch pan or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon milk with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. Stir in coconut. Spread frosting over cake.
- Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 140); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 90mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 66g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 48g); Protein 3g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 2%. Exchanges: 1 Starch; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat. Carbohydrate Choices: 4 1/2.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet