The arugula and blue cheese side dish add a fresh bite to the rich pork and beef flavors in this elegant dinner.
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (2-1/2 lbs.) piece beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 2 bunches arugula, coarse stems trimmed (9 cups)
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) crumbed blue cheese (preferably Maytag), plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- Toss tomatoes with 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow heavy baking pan; spread out, leaving room in center for beef. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse and pat beef dry. Wrap with bacon, slightly overlapping slices and tucking ends under beef.
- Roast, turning tomatoes occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of beef registers 122 degree F for medium-rare and tomatoes are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer beef in pan to rack; let stand 15 minutes before carving into 1/3-inch-thick slices, discarding string. Meanwhile, toss arugula with cheese, vinegar, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tomatoes on opposite sides of a large serving platter, gently combine with salad and sprinkle with cheese. Arrange beef slices in center of platter; season with pepper. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 840, Total Fat 72 g, Saturated Fat 27.5 g, Cholesterol 164 mg, Sodium 438 mg, Carbohydrate 9 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 40 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet