This cheesy polenta recipe is very easy to make, and makes the perfect complement to roasted veggies or braised meats and poultry.
- 3 1/2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness or Certified Organic)
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the broth, cornmeal, bay leaf and black pepper in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat to a boil. Stir in the oil. Cook and stir for 10 minutes or until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir the basil and cheese in the saucepan. Spread the polenta in a greased 9-inch pie plate. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until the polenta is firm.
- Cut the polenta into 6 wedges. Grill, Bake or Pan-Fry the polenta. Serve topped with meat sauce, roasted vegetables or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- To Grill: Brush the wedges on both sides with olive oil. Place on a hot grill and cook for 4 minutes, turning the wedges over once during grilling.
- To Bake: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the wedges on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the wedges are browned and crispy, turning the wedges over once during baking.
- To Pan-Fry: Heat oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the wedges in 2 batches and cook for 10 minutes or until the wedges are browned and crispy, turning them over once during cooking.