Ask everyone to fill and roll their own tortillas right at the supper table--it makes less work for the cook and is a fun way to enjoy this Mexican recipe.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped (1 cup)
- 2 fresh, pickled, or canned jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (3 tablespoons)
- 12 leaves of leaf lettuce
- Preheat a wok or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Remove almonds from the wok. Let wok cool.
- For sauce, stir together picante sauce and cornstarch. Set aside. In a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, olives, raisins, parsley, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and the almonds; set aside. Cut chicken into thin bite-size strips; set aside.
- Stack tortillas; wrap in foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until warm. Or, place tortillas, half at a time, between layers of microwave-safe paper towels. Micro-cook on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until warm.
- Pour oil into wok. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onions, apple, and jalapeno peppers; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove apple mixture from the wok.
- Add half of the chicken to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until no pink remains. Remove chicken from the wok. Repeat with remaining chicken. Return all of the chicken and the apple mixture to wok. Push from center of wok.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce and tomato mixture to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Place a lettuce leaf on each tortilla. Top with chicken mixture. Roll up tortilla. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 500, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 59 mg, Sodium 974 mg, Carbohydrate 61 g, Protein 31 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet