With the make-ahead directions, you can prepare the phyllo rolls up to 3 months before the party, then bake them just before your guests arrive.
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb or beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 5- to 6-ounce package soft goat cheese (chevre) or 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough (14x9-inch rectangles), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Ground nutmeg
- Persimmons (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. For filling, in a medium skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. Stir in cheese, spinach, milk, lemon peel, salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cover with plastic wrap. To make a phyllo roll, remove one sheet of phyllo and lightly brush with melted butter. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top of the first; brush with butter. Add four more phyllo sheets, one at a time, brushing each with butter. Spread half of the filling over the phyllo stack, spreading to within 3 inches of the long sides and 1 1/2 inches of the short sides. Fold short sides of phyllo toward center. Fold one long side of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Repeat to make a second phyllo roll.
- Place phyllo rolls, seam sides down, on a large baking sheet. Brush with remaining melted butter; sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Score the tops of the phyllo rolls, making cuts 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. To serve, place strudel on a serving platter. Slice strudel on the scored lines. If desired, garnish with persimmons. Makes about 20. servings.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare, shape, and score strudel as directed (do not bake). Wrap strudel in moistureproof and vaporproof wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Place frozen strudel, seam sides down, on a large baking sheet. Brush stride; with melted butter and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Slice on scored lines.
- Calories 84, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 17 mg, Sodium 115 mg, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 4 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet