A Thai flavored sauce goes perfectly with the seasoned and grilled leg of lamb in this recipe.
- 1 13-1/2-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4)
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3- to 3-1/2-pound boneless lamb leg, rolled and tied
- For sauce, in a bowl combine coconut milk, basil, mint, onions, lime peel and juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, curry paste, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Set aside. For rub, in a bowl combine ginger, garlic, salt, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Untie and unroll lamb. Trim fat. Using flat side of meat mallet, pound lamb to an even thickness (1-1/2 to 2 inches thick). Rub ginger mixture over lamb. Place in large sealable plastic bag set in shallow dish. Add 1/2 cup of the sauce. Seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Remove meat from marinade. To keep meat from curling, insert 2 long metal skewers through meat forming an X. To grill, arrange medium coals around drip pan. Test for medium-low heat above pan. Place meat on rack over pan. Cover; grill 50 to 60 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 135 degree F for medium-rare. Let chilled sauce stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Remove meat. Cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise 10 degrees.) Thinly slice meat against grain; serve with sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Calories 315, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 108 mg, Sodium 947 mg, Carbohydrate 7 g, Total Sugar 2 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 36 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 5%, Iron 28%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet