Potatoes and carrots cook with the beef, making this recipe a quick one to prepare. Then just let it roast until it's done. The creamy sauce comes together in minutes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for pan
- 2 pounds red and white potatoes, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse or flaked sea salt
- 1-1/2 pounds medium carrots, peeled, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 (3 to 3-1/2 lbs.) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly oil a large heavy roasting pan. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt; place in one side of pan. Toss carrots with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt; place in other side of pan.
- Rinse and pat beef dry. Season with pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon salt. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over moderately high heat and brown beef on all sides, about 5 minutes. Place over carrots in pan.
- Roast 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F and roast, stirring potatoes and carrots, until beef is fork-tender, about 2 hours more. Transfer beef in pan to rack; let stand 15 minutes before carving into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, whisk horseradish sauce and heavy cream together in a small bowl to soft peaks. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer beef, potatoes, and carrots to a platter; serve horseradish cream on the side. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 920, Total Fat 65.5 g, Saturated Fat 25.5 g, Cholesterol 205 mg, Sodium 1337 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 47 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet