Quick cooking on a grill seals in the juices and flavors in these Indian-spiced lamb chops cooked with summer squash.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala*
- 8 well-trimmed lamb loin chops, cut 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium yellow summer squash and/or zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chutney or hot chutney
- In small bowl combine oil, garlic, ginger, garam masala, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brush onto all sides of the chops and squash.
- Grill chops and squash on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat to desired doneness and until squash is tender, turning once. (Allow 10 to 14 minutes for medium-rare doneness.) For the last 2 minutes of grilling, place pita rounds on grill rack to heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine yogurt and mint. Transfer vegetables to a cutting board; cool slightly and slice diagonally 1/2 inch thick. Serve squash, pita bread, and chutney with chops. Makes 4 servings.
- *For homemade garam masala, combine 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Calories 615, Total Fat 22 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 135 mg, Sodium 735 mg, Carbohydrate 51 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 51 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 3%, Vitamin C 11%, Calcium 14%, Iron 40%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet