Lemon peel and dried apricot add interest to this tasty roast. This no-fuss, one-pot meal is a great choice for busy weekdays.
- 1 2-1/2- to 3-pound boneless beef chuck arm or shoulder pot roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 to 8 medium carrots and/or parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup pitted dried plums (prunes), halved
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked noodles
- Trim fat from meat. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil. Combine broth, lemon peel, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over meat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, onion, plums, and apricots. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat, vegetables, and fruit to a platter, reserving juices in Dutch oven; keep warm.
- For gravy, measure juices; skim fat. If necessary, add enough water to equal 2-1/2 cups. Return to Dutch oven. Stir cold water into flour until smooth. Stir into juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste. Serve with meat, vegetables, fruit, and noodles.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- Oven directions: Trim fat from meat. Brown roast as directed above. Combine the broth, lemon peel, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over roast. Bake, covered, in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/2 hours. Add carrots, onion, plums, and apricots. Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat, vegetables, and fruit to a platter, reserving juices. Keep warm. Prepare gravy in a saucepan and serve as directed above.
- Calories 604, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Monounsaturated Fat 10 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Sodium 476 mg, Carbohydrate 58 g, Total Sugar 23 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 42 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 8%, Iron 41%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Fruit 1.5, Starch 2, Lean Meat 5, Fat 1.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet