- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cut off and discard tip and stem ends of okra. Cut okra into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Combine buttermilk and eggs. Add okra slices, stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder.
- Remove okra from buttermilk mixture with a slotted spoon; discard buttermilk. Dredge okra, in batches, in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 1/2 inches in a Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet. Heat to 365 degrees over medium-high heat. Fry okra, in batches, for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Alternate cooking method: Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees. Place okra in fryer basket. Fry okra, in batches, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.