Combine round steak and beans for hearty game-day bowls of chili.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 4-ounce can diced chili peppers, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Partially freeze meat. Slice cross grain into small, thin strips. Brown half of meat in hot oil in Dutch oven. Remove meat. Brown remaining meat with onion and garlic, add more oil, if needed. Drain fat. Return mixture to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients except beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 hour. Stir in beans; cook 5 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 409, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Sodium 1331 mg, Carbohydrate 39 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 36 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 26%, Vitamin C 44%, Calcium 15%, Iron 30%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet