Italian dressing mix is tossed with hot pasta then mixed with freshly grilled vegetables and hot Italian sausage to make this colorful main dish.
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 hot Italian sausages (about 1 lb)
- 1 package (16 oz) penne
- 1 Tbsp Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat grill to medium. In a large bowl, toss together asparagus, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, onion, 1 tbsp oil, the salt and pepper. Transfer to a vegetable grilling basket.
- Lightly oil grill rack. Place vegetables, in basket, and sausages on grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted into center of each sausage, 25 to 30 min.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Transfer sausages to a cutting board and vegetables to a large bowl. When cool enough to handle, diagonally cut sausages into 1/2-inch-thick slices; add to vegetables along with pasta and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 3 tbsp oil, the dressing mix and garlic. Pour over pasta and toss until coated well. Toss in cheese and serve immediately.
- To cook indoors: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine and season vegetables as directed. Place sausages in a foil-lined baking pan; roast 10 min. Add vegetables to pan and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted into center of each sausage, about 35 min. Continue with recipe. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 700, Total Fat 36 g, Saturated Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 56 mg, Sodium 1272 mg, Carbohydrate 65 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 30 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet