When your family gathers on Sunday, serve them this pot roast rubbed with a mixture of fennel seed, parsley, Italian seasoning, and garlic.
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, crushed
- 4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 3- to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 5 carrots, quartered
- 6 small potatoes, peeled (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup instant-type flour
- Combine fennel seed, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper; set aside. Untie pork roast and unroll. Trim fat. Rub with seasoning mixture. Retie roast.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot heat oil; brown pork roast slowly on all sides. Drain fat. Pour 3/4 cup water over meat. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven 1-1/2 hours. Arrange vegetables around roast. Cover and roast 50 to 60 minutes more or until vegetables and meat are tender, adding water, if necessary. Transfer meat to serving platter and cover with foil; let stand 15 minutes. Remove strings and carve. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a serving bowl; keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from pan juices; strain juices, if desired. Add water to juices, if necessary, to make 1-1/2 cups. Cook pan juices in Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until bubbly. Combine 1/2 cup cold water and flour; stir until smooth and gradually add to the hot pan juices, whisking until smooth and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Serve with roast. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Calories 552, Total Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 149 mg, Sodium 686 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 43 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 143%, Vitamin C 21%, Calcium 7%, Iron 30%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet