A delicious weeknight meal, try this homey recipe that uses fresh mushrooms, chicken, olives and sage.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 2- to 2-1/2-lb. deli-roasted chicken, skinned, boned, and cut in chunks
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground sage
- 1 recipe Buttermilk Dumplings
- Thinly sliced green onion (optional)
- Fried Sage Leaves (optional)
- In 4-quart Dutch oven cook mushrooms and onions in hot oil over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes until liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour until combined. Add broth all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken, peas, olives, lemon juice, and sage. Return to boiling.
- Prepare Buttermilk Dumpling dough; drop dough, 1/3 cup at a time, onto boiling soup. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. To serve sprinkle with green onion and Fried Sage Leaves.
- Buttermilk Dumplings: Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder; 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in 1/4 cup sliced green onions and 1 Tbsp. snipped (flat-leaf) Italian parsley. Add 1 cup buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. olive oil; stir until moistened.
- Fried Sage Leaves: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add 8 sage sprigs, 2 at a time; cook until crisp, 30 to 60 seconds; drain. Makes 8 servings.
- Calories 367, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 56 mg, Sodium 776 mg, Carbohydrate 37 g, Total Sugar 6 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 25 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 13%, Calcium 6%, Iron 16%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet