For a savory weeknight soup recipe, try this combination of black beans, chicken, hominy, and salsa. Better yet, it's ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1 32-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1 cup bottled nopalitos (cactus leaves), drained, or 1 green sweet pepper, cut in strips
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Snipped fresh herbs (optional)
- In 4-quart Dutch oven combine chicken broth, black beans, hominy, salsa, nopalitos, undrained green chiles, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add chicken; heat through. To serve, sprinkle with fresh herbs. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 240, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 52 mg, Sodium 1060 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g, Total Sugar 3 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 25 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 12%, Calcium 10%, Iron 14%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet