Serve red onion marmalade with white cheddar shortbread sandwiches for a rich and elegant appetizer.
- 2 large red onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tsp. bottled minced garlic or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- In a medium saucepan combine the onion, brown sugar, vinegar, dried thyme, if using, and garlic. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes until onions are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. (Mixture will thicken more as it cools.) Stir in fresh thyme, if using; remove from heat and allow to cool. Use immediately or store, tightly covered, in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1-1/2 cups (thirty-six 2-teaspoon servings).
- Calories 31, Total Fat 0 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 3 mg, Carbohydrate 8 g, Total Sugar 7 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 1%, Iron 1%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet