Put waffles on the breakfast menu. For this recipe, make the batter ahead, chill overnight, and bake first thing in the morning.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cooking oil or butter, melted
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, yeast, vanilla (if desired), and salt; add milk, eggs, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Cover batter loosely and chill overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Stir batter. Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker. Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm. Discard any remaining batter. Makes about 16 (4-inch) waffles.
- Overnight Cornmeal Waffles: Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1-1/2 cups and add 3/4 cup cornmeal.
- Calories 133, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 29 mg, Sodium 94 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Total Sugar 3 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%. Exchanges: Starch 1, Fat 1.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet