From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Let's get to the meat of the matter--meat loaf made with lean ground turkey lowers the fat. Adding just-right spices and a fresh bread-crumb crust makes the recipe perfect.
- 3 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg product
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup, chili sauce or barbecue sauce
- Thin slices green bell pepper, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Into food processor or blender, tear toasted bread into pieces. Cover; process with on-and-off pulses until bread is crumbly and evenly chopped.
- In large bowl, mix bread crumbs and remaining ingredients except ketchup and bell pepper slices. Spread mixture in ungreased 8x4- or 9x5-inch loaf pan. Spread ketchup over top.
- Baked 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of loaf reads 165 degrees F.
- Let meat loaf stand 5 minutes; drain. Remove from pan. Top with bell pepper slices. To serve, cut meat loaf into 6 slices.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 75mg; Sodium 560mg; Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 6g); Protein 28g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%. Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat. Carbohydrate Choices: 1.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet