From Betty's Soul Food Collection...Cook up some comfort with ham and beans. Cornmeal biscuits are the special topper.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 2 cans Progresso® black beans, undrained (15 ounces each)
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion and bell pepper in oil, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in beans, ham and 1 teaspoon of the chili powder. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low.
- Stir Bisquick mix, cornmeal and milk and remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder in medium bowl until soft dough forms. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto simmering bean mixture.
- Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover and cook 8 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook about 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) After dropping dough onto bean mixture, cook uncovered over medium-low heat 12 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
- Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 135 ); Total Fat 15 g (Saturated Fat 5 g); Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 1720 mg; Total Carbohydrate 66 g (Dietary Fiber 11 g); Protein 29 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 18%; Vitamin C 22%; Calcium 24%; Iron 30%. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet