So creamy, good, and easy! Serve this side dish casserole alongside ham, beef, or poultry.
- 1 6-ounce package long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into cubes
- In a 2-quart casserole, combine rice mix and seasoning packet with mushrooms. In a medium saucepan, combine water, spinach, onion, butter, mustard, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Stir mixture; pour over rice mixture. Stir in cream cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven 20 minutes. Stir mixture. Cover; bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until rice is tender. Stir again. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- This rice dish tastes just as creamy when you make it with reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel). And the casserole can be assembled ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 hours before baking. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time to heat the casserole through.
- Calories 271, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 47 mg, Sodium 692 mg, Carbohydrate 26 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 7 g. Exchanges: Vegetable 2, Starch 1, Fat 3.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet