For a quick and filling main-dish recipe, try this saucy combination of brown rice, eggplant, and navy beans.
- 1 small eggplant (about 10 to 12 ounces), cut in 8 slices
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- 1 15-oz. can navy or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 26-oz. jar roasted garlic pasta sauce
- Crumbled Feta Cheese (optional)
- Brush eggplant lightly with half the oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat in bread crumbs. In 12-inch skillet cook eggplant in remaining oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes per side. Turn frequently
- Cook rice according to package directions; stir in green onion. In another saucepan combine beans and pasta sauce; heat through.
- Serve eggplants with rice and beans. Top with feta and black pepper. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 511, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 1099 mg, Carbohydrate 82 g, Total Sugar 14 g, Fiber 13 g, Protein 17 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 16%, Iron 30%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet