This thick and sinfully luscious ice cream tastes just like a slice of creamy cheesecake.
- 5 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Fresh blueberries, nectarines, and/or dark cherries (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine 3 cups of the half-and-half or light cream, the sugar, and eggs. Cook and stir over medium heat just until boiling. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually beat in hot mixture. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Stir in remaining half-and-half, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the directions. Ripen 4 hours. Garnish each serving with choice of fresh fruit, if desired. Makes about 3 quarts (24 servings).
- Calories 260, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Sodium 116 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 5 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 6%, Iron 3%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet