Come in from the cold and enjoy this flavorful sausage, vegetable and rice casserole that's easy to put together and even better to eat!
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1 pkg. (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 1 box (6 ounces) seasoned long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Cook the sausage in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, pepper, onion, thyme, marjoram and seasoning packet from the rice blend to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Stir the sausage mixture, stock, soup, rice blend and 1/2 cup cheese in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Cover the baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 1 hour or until the sausage is cooked through and the rice is tender. Stir the sausage mixture before serving. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- For an extra-special touch, substitute 1 package (8 ounces) baby portobello mushrooms, sliced, for the sliced mushrooms.