Get a head-start on this--Cut up the vegetables as early as two days ahead,if you wish. Store in a resealable plastic food-storage bag in the fridge until you're ready to make the recipe.
- 3 medium carrots, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 turkey thighs, skin removed (8 to 12 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian-style six-cheese blend or mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix carrots, celery, bell pepper, basil and water. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper; place on vegetable mixture.
- Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
- Remove turkey from cooker. Stir rice and oregano into vegetable mixture; return turkey to cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Remove turkey from cooker. Stir cheese into rice mixture until melted. Serve with turkey.
- Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 110); Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 235mg; Sodium 860mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g); Protein 65g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 190%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 20%; Iron 35%. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 8 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat. Carbohydrate Choices: 2.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet