Serve tomato-sauced, cinnamon-spiced chicken and artichokes atop couscous.
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1/2 envelope onion soup mix (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups water or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking couscous
- Skin chicken. In a 12-inch skillet brown chicken in hot oil. Drain fat. Stir together the undrained tomatoes and soup mix. Add to chicken in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes. Add artichokes, olives, wine (if desired), and cinnamon. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan bring water or broth and margarine or butter to boiling (if using water, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired). Stir in couscous. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken. Makes 6 servings.
- Calories 445, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Sodium 624 mg, Carbohydrate 43 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 28 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 12%, Vitamin C 27%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet