The smoky flavor of pancetta (Italian bacon) seasons the bean and vegetable sauce in this comforting pasta meal.
- 1-1/2 cups assorted heirloom beans,* rinsed and picked over
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 ounces pancetta (or 4 slices bacon), chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 ounces pappardelle or other wide noodles
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine assorted beans in a large bowl. Cover with 2 inches of cold water and let stand overnight. ( To quick soak: Combine beans with water to cover by 2 inches in a medium Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Cover and let stand 1 hour.) Drain beans in colander. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat. (If using bacon, omit oil. Cook bacon until crisp, remove with slotted spoon. Heat drippings in Dutch oven.) Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened. Stir in pancetta (if using); cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add beans, chicken broth, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper (and bacon, if using); bring to boil. Cover and bake 1 hour. Stir in tomatoes and red wine and bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours more, until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. When beans are tender, add enough pasta water to beans until mixture is saucy.
- Divide pasta among 6 serving plates; top with bean mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
- *Heirloom beans include: 1. Black Appaloosa (similar to Black beans)2. Butterscotch (similar to Great Northern beans)3. Anasazi (similar to Pinto beans)4. Good Mother Stallard (similar to Pinto beans)5. Christmas Lima (similar to Great Northern beans)6. Nightfall (similar to Great Northern beans)7. Tiger Eye (similar to Kidney beans)
- Bobs Red Mill5209 S.E. International WayMilwaukie, OR 97222503-654-3215; Fax: 503-653-1339www.bobsredmill.coIndian HarvestP.O. Box 428Bemidji, MN 56619800-294-2433; Fax: 800-752-8588www.indianharvest.comPhipps Country StoreP.O. Box 349Pescadero, CA 94060800-279-0889; Fax: 650-879-1622Western Trails, Inc. P.O. Box 460Bozeman, MT 59771Voice/Fax: 406-587-5489
- Calories 605, Total Fat 16.5 g, Saturated Fat 5.5 g, Cholesterol 21 mg, Sodium 1072 mg, Carbohydrate 88 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 28 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet+