An easy glaze flavors these country-style ribs. You can use it on spareribs or beef short ribs, too.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup whole grain, spicy brown, or other mustard
- 2 tablespoons sorghum or honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh summer savory or 1/8 teaspoon dried summer savory, crushed
- 3 pounds pork country-style ribs
- Quartered oranges (optional)
- Fresh lemon verbena leaves (optional)
- For glaze, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; cook onion in hot oil until golden brown. Reduce heat to low; stir in mustard, sorghum or honey, and vinegar. Simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in savory; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Set aside, reserving about one third of glaze to serve with ribs.
- Trim excess fat from ribs. Prepare grill for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place ribs, bone side down, on the grill rack over the drip pan.
- Cover and grill for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender, brushing occasionally with glaze during the last 10 minutes of grilling. Heat and pass reserved glaze with ribs. Garnish with quartered oranges and fresh lemon verbena leaves, if desired. Makes 4 servings.