Thaw puff pastry at room temperature in about 30 minutes. Or in the refrigerator about 4 hours. Keep it covered when thawing to create these savory beef appetizers with ease.
- 1/2 of a 17.3-oz. pkg. (1 sheet) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 8-oz. carton dairy sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. assorted snipped fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, dill, and/or parsley
- 4 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. thinly sliced chilled medium-rare beef tenderloin or very thinly sliced deli-style beef
- 1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
- Assorted fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unfold puff pastry sheet; roll into a 15x10-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle crosswise into ten 1-1/2-inch-wide strips; cut strips crosswise into thirds. Place pieces about 1 inch apart on two ungreased baking sheets. Combine egg and water. Brush egg mixture onto rectangles.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or till light brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
- For topping, stir together sour cream, the 2 tablespoons herbs, horseradish, milk, and garlic. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Makes 30 sandwiches.
- To serve, spread about 2 teaspoons of the sour cream mixture on each pastry rectangle, leaving a small border. Top with a thin slice of beef tenderloin, arranging accordion-style. Sprinkle with cracked pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs. Arrange on a platter.
- Calories 71, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 17 mg, Sodium 44 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Total Sugar 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 3 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet