Succulent shrimp with ramen noodles, black beans, and zesty spices make this soup a winner.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 3-ounce packages shrimp- or Oriental-flavored ramen noodles
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8-1/4-ounce can no-salt-added whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. In a medium mixing bowl combine lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, and pepper; add shrimp. Toss to coat. Let shrimp stand for 20 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring water to boiling. Stir in 1 noodle flavor packet (reserve remaining flavor packet for another use) and the broken noodles. Return to boiling and cook 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in salsa, beans, corn, snipped cilantro, and green onion. Heat through. To serve, top each serving with cheese and garnish with cilantro, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Peel and devein shrimp; cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 hours before using.
- Calories 419, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 137 mg, Sodium 1296 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 30 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 26%, Vitamin C 77%, Calcium 12%, Iron 35%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet