Spicy shrimp is served with creamy grits and colorful sweet peppers to make this quick dinner. A cilantro vinaigrette finishes off the dish.
- 2 red and/or yellow sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup quick cooking hominy grits
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 oz.)
- 1-1/2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- Lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs, optional
- Halve, seed, and coarsely chop peppers. In medium saucepan heat 1-3/4 cups water to boiling. Stir in grits and peppers. Return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes, until most water is absorbed and grits are tender. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Cover; keep warm.
- In bowl toss shrimp with chili powder. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- In food processor combine remaining oil, cilantro, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water. Drizzle over shrimp and grits. Serve with lemon and cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 385, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 10 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 185 mg, Sodium 423 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Total Sugar 3 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 29 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 164%, Calcium 17%, Iron 25%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet