Serve this simmered pork and vegetable mixture on half of a plain or toasted pita.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces cooked pork, cut into bite-size strips (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a 2-quart saucepan stir together onion, carrot, the 1/3 cup water, catsup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, and pepper. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pork and celery. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more or until heated through, stirring once.
- Stir together cornstarch and the 1 tablespoon water. Stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Makes 4 servings.
- Prepare pork mixture; cool. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Transfer to saucepan. Reheat over medium heat, stirring gently but constantly until heated through.
- Calories 213, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 67 mg, Sodium 298 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 25 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 85%, Vitamin C 12%, Calcium 4%, Iron 9%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet