Here's a drumstick version of the popular chicken wing appetizer. If you like a little less hot and spicy flavor, use 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce and add 1 teaspoon vinegar.
- 8 medium chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 to 4 tablespoons bottled hot pepper sauce
- Celery sticks
- 1/4 cup blue cheese salad dressing
- Skin chicken, if desired. In a plastic or paper bag combine flour and paprika. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, shaking to coat well. In a 10-inch skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken; set aside.
- In drippings in skillet cook onion and garlic about 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Combine chicken broth and hot pepper sauce; stir into skillet. (Avoid inhaling fumes caused by cooking the hot pepper sauce.) Return chicken to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Transfer chicken to platter. Skim fat from sauce, if necessary. To serve, spoon some of the sauce over chicken; pass remaining sauce. Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 444, Total Fat 30 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 112 mg, Sodium 488 mg, Carbohydrate 11 g, Protein 32 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet