From Betty's Soul Food Collection... Everyone goes nuts for our Pecan-Crusted Catfish, baked instead of fried and an outstanding recipe for anyone watching their cholesterol.
- 3/4 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 pound catfish, orange roughy, sole, or other medium-firm fish fillets (about 3/4 inch thick), cut into 6 serving pieces
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray 15x10-inch pan with sides with cooking spray. In large resealable plastic food-storage bag, place cornflake crumbs, pecans, salt, paprika, garlic powder and red pepper; shake to mix well.
- In shallow dish, beat egg whites slightly with fork. Dip fish into egg whites; place in bag. Seal bag and shake until fish is evenly coated. Place in pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
- Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 110); Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 85mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 5g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g); Protein 25g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%. Exchanges: 0 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Lean Meat. Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet