If you are looking for a chili recipe without the tomato base, try this hearty soup that calls for cannellini beans, green chiles, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 1 lb. chicken
- 2 tsp. cooking oil
- 2 19-oz. cans cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 4.5-oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 14-oz. can reduced sodium chicken broth
- Fresh Cilantro (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Coarsely crush 2 cups of the chips.
- In 4- to 5- quart Dutch oven brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat. Add beans, 1 cup of the cheese, the chilies, broth, 1/2 cup water; and crushed chips. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for tortilla crisps, place remaining 1 cup chips on baking sheet lined with nonstick foil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 6 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Serve chili with tortilla crisps. Sprinkle cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 575, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 111 mg, Sodium 1172 mg, Carbohydrate 52 g, Total Sugar 1 g, Fiber 14 g, Protein 55 g. Daily Values: Vitamin C 13%, Calcium 43%, Iron 23%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet