Dollop this condiment on top of spicy dishes to tame their heat.
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 medium carrots, grated (4 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
- Bring carrots, ginger, garlic, and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar, and cardamom, if using. Simmer 45 minutes more, or until chutney has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool.
- Calories 102, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Sodium 148 mg, Carbohydrate 25 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g, Sugars 22 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet