A pesto made with spinach and arugula dresses this salad instead of mayonnaise.
- 1 1/2 cups packed baby arugula
- 3/4 cup packed baby spinach
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds red new potatoes, halved
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed (3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- To make Pesto: Puree 1 cup arugula, 1/2 cup spinach, basil, garlic, and walnut pieces in food processor until smooth. Add remaining arugula and spinach, and pulse until smooth. With machine running, pour in lemon juice and oil, and blend until combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To make Potato Salad: Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes. Add green beans, and cook 5 minutes more. Drain, and transfer to bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute fennel and shallot in oil 10 minutes, or until browned. Add sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper flakes, and saute 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Toss Pesto and fennel mixture with potatoes and green beans. Garnish with tomatoes, and serve.
- Calories 184, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Sodium 202 mg, Carbohydrate 24 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 5 g, Sugars 2 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet