This dessert can be prepared with whatever fruits are in season. We used plums, but you could also choose apples, pears, or frozen berries. Recipe by Carolyn Trompeter.
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 6 cups thinly sliced plums (3 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/4 cup rice syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with oil and flour, and set aside.
- To make Plum Filling: Place apple juice in mixing bowl. Add arrowroot, and stir to dissolve. Add plums, and toss gently. Transfer to prepared pan, sprinkle with nutmeg, and set aside.
- To make Crumble: Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. Rub oil into mixture with your fingers, then drizzle in rice syrup while mixing with fork. Distribute evenly over Plum Filling.
- Calories 257, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Sodium 163 mg, Carbohydrate 44 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 4 g, Sugars 19 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet