Use this versatile pesto to season grilled meats, fish, poultry, tofu, vegetables, pasta, omelets, or to spread on grilled bread. A tablespoon packs an abundance of flavor.
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved (seeded, if desired)
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a food processor bowl, place the jalapeno, cilantro, basil, mint, and garlic. Cover and process with several on-off turns until finely chopped. With processor running, gradually add oil and water. Stir in lime juice and salt. (Or, finely chop the jalapeno, herbs, and garlic. Place in a bowl and stir in the oil, water, lime juice, and salt.) Makes 1 cup (sixteen, 1-tablespoon servings).
- Calories 64, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 78 mg, Carbohydrate 1 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 78%, Vitamin C 98%, Calcium 9%, Iron 13%.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet