Each plump bird provides two servings in this easy meal. To serve, simply halve each hen lengthwise using kitchen shears.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 8 ounces small potatoes or tiny new potatoes, quartered
- 2 1-1/2-pound Cornish game hens
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Fresh oregano leaves and thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, snipped oregano, olive oil, garlic, snipped thyme, salt, and pepper. Add artichoke hearts and potato; toss gently to coat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes and potato to another bowl; reserve garlic mixture.
- Rinse hens; pat dry with paper towels. Tie drumsticks to the tails using 100-percent-cotton string. Tie wing tips to the breasts. Brush hens with some of the garlic mixture. Arrange hens on one side of a rack in a large roasting pan. Arrange artichoke hearts and potato on the opposite side of rack. Drizzle hens and vegetables with remaining garlic mixture.
- Place roasting pan on middle rack of oven. Roast about 50 minutes or until juices of the hens run clear (180 degrees F) and vegetables are tender.
- Arrange hens on a serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter. If desired, garnish platter with lemon slices, oregano leaves, and thyme sprigs. Using kitchen shears or a long heavy knife, cut the string between drumsticks and around breasts. Carefully cut hens in half lengthwise. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 443, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 120 mg, Sodium 427 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Total Sugar 1 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 39 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 29%, Calcium 5%, Iron 7%. Exchanges: Starch 1, Medium-Fat Meat 5.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet