We've made the traditional Southern favorite, cheesy grits, with cream-style corn for an extra-rich meal. It's hearty enough to be a meatless main dish.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion or chives
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 8-ounce can cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- In a medium saucepan bring water and chicken granules to boiling. Gradually stir in grits. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in onion and the 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in eggs, milk, and corn. Transfer to a lightly greased 1-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in center. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes before serving to melt cheese. Makes 4 servings.
- Calories 255, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 131 mg, Sodium 566 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g, Protein 12 g.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet